Secrets Poison

Florence took one look at you and then pulled me to one side. Those fierce eyes of hers pierced right through mine, and I knew something bad was coming. She said, "That child ain't my son's. I don't know who's it is, but it ain't his, and I'm telling you, Val Phelps, if you mess around once again behind my son's back there'll be trouble, 'cos I'll telling him that bastard ain't his." Later on, I spoke to the social worker in private about this. She still insisted that I keep it a secret from him, that was confident that Flo wasn't going to spoil everything for us. May be I was a fool, or maybe I'm too damn honest at times. I just couldn't keep it a secret from him. What if he found out at some point? He would have killed me. He would have killed you too. I knew what he was like when he lost his rag. He could be really violent and there was no reasoning with him. I had to tell him. I would have lived in constant terror otherwise. His mother could have let the cat out the bag at any time. So, I told him, and he went beserk.