No More Bastards

Once I realized that you weren't Johnny's I told the social worker. She told me to lie to Johnny. By this time we were married, but we still hadn't found a flat to rent and were staying with his mother on the caravan. You had to stay with a foster family and I didn't get to see you often because you were very far away. Three months passed where I didn't see you at all, and then when I finally got to visit you I realized “Oh, my God, she's not Johnny's. You were fair skinned, blue eyed. You were just like your dad.” I told the social worker that you were Neil's and she suggested I lie to Johnny. “You're husband need never know,” she told me. But I couldn't lie to him. He wasn't daft. He would have guessed, or his mother would have told him. I ended up telling him the truth and he hit the roof.

I've taken in one bastard that ain't mine. I'm not taking in another,” he yelled.